The Poly-something sleep.
I know there's been something wrong with my sleep for long time. The time I've been going to sleep has been getting pushed back by the usual "I have to finish this" 5 or 10 minute stuff. And it's gone from 11PM to 2:30AM in last years. The bad thing about this ? I still had to get up for school, still the same time. 6:30AM. Which results in 4 hour sleep, right ? That caused me to develop a nasty habit of coming home, eating bits of food and falling asleep. You can't call that a nap cause I've sometimes napped longer than I actually slept at night. So all refreshed I woke up at 6 or 7 PM, ready to do stuff. I actually had 2 half-days and half-sleep during 24 hours. 4 hours sleep and then school and afternoon was 4-5 hour sleep and then doing something else during the night.
It seemed like I had no other option than starting to push the bed time back to midnight. But then my friend Adam Mulligan posted a message on twitter that confused me. Some strange words. Poly. That means something like ..."many" maybe. Phasic. Didn't realized what it was supposed to mean at the time. And Sleep. Adam will sleep. Hey, everyone does, no big deal. So let's try google, this makes no sense to me. Yet better, I'll ask wikipedia if it knows anything about the mysterious polyphasic sleep.
Basically it's all about having some core sleep at night, I'll be making that those 4 hours of sleep I had till now, and some naps, 15 - 30 minutes, regularly,same time, every day. Your body will learn that you "need to" sleep like this and will fall into the deepest stage of sleep even when just napping for 15 minutes. I'll not go that deep to just nap and leave out the core sleep at night at all. But this can be also done after you learn how to nap the proper way. The average time to switch from regular monophasic sleep to polyphasic sleep is 14 days. During those, you may not feel well.
As my work is to install Windows machines manually, I'll start right tomorrow. The copy process and the initial unattended setup from Dell takes about 20 - 30 minutes, perfect for a nap. The only downside is that all offices have glass walls to the corridor, so everyone will see me sleeping in my overly comfortable chair...napping at work...I guess I'll just tape my blog URL onto the glass ;)
It is now 3:30 and I plan to wake up around 7:30 or 8 tomorrow. 10AM is when my work starts. Takes me about the same time to get there as it does to school. But I finally have time for morning RSS reading (cause newspaper is soooo pre-2000) and crunchy toasts! :-)
2 comments:
A couple of things to keep in mind:
-The average sleep cycle is around 90 minutes: try to make your core sleep an integer number of sleep cycles
-Your small naps should be at least 20 minutes long. I haven't read about this in a while, but some group (NASA or the navy or something) studied napping and said 23 minutes was ideal. Whatever; your body can adapt.
-If you want to try something easier to work with schedule-wise, you might want to try biphasic sleep. This involves a core sleep (2 or 3 sleep cycles) and a nap (1 or 2 cycles). These should be spaced pretty far.
I've done biphasic in the past and am currently experimenting with a variant of it. Good luck!
I'll stopwatch the installation process today at work...but I think I'll get over 20 minutes easily ;)
Post a Comment